November 13th 2015 Paris terrorist attacks

2015 Paris attacks accused offers 'condolences' to victims

France — Link

Salah Abdeslam, 32, on trial in Paris along with 19 others over the shooting and suicide bombing attacks in and around the French capital in November 2015 by an Islamic State cell, which claimed the lives of 130 people, on Friday told the court that he wished 'to express my condolences and offer an apology to all the victims'.

Paris attacks accused tells trial he backed out of suicide bombing

France — Link

Salah Abdeslam, 32, the only surviving member of an Islamic State cell that murdered 130 people in suicide bombings and shootingsin and around the French capital in November 2015, has told a Paris court that he backed out at the last minute from committing a suicide bombing in a café.  

Islamic State's British 'Beatles' reveal ringleaders behind ransoming of French hostages

France — Investigation

Two British jihadists currently in custody in the United States, who were part of a group of four Britons dubbed 'The Beatles', have told their American interrogators the identity of the Islamic State leaders who masterminded the capture and then release of French hostages in 2014 in exchange for ransoms. As Mediapart can reveal, these senior IS leaders were the same people who ordered the murderous attacks in Paris on November 13th 2015. Matthieu Suc reports.

French surgeon discovered trying to sell X-ray of Bataclan victim online

France — Investigation

French orthopaedic surgeon Emmanuel Masmejean placed for sale online an X-ray of a woman survivor of the November 2015 terrorist shooting attack at the Bataclan theatre in Paris, on which a Kalashnikov bullet can be seen lodged in her arm. The victim had not been asked her permission for the sale and publication of her X-ray, which the surgeon priced at 2,776 dollars. Following Mediapart’s revelation of the attempted sale, the Paris public hospital administration described Masmejean’s behaviour as “shocking and indecent” and he now faces legal and disciplinary action. Matthieu Suc reports.

Paris attacks trial: victims judge the testimony of the terrorists’ families

France

The nine-month trial in Paris of 20 individuals accused of variously perpetrating or assisting the November 13th 2015 terrorist attacks by the so-called Islamic State group in the French capital, in which 130 people died and more than 400 were wounded, opened in September. Throughout the trial, Mediapart is publishing the first-hand reactions of seven victims, who either survived the attacks or who lost loved ones, as the hearings unfold. Here, Georges Salines, whose daughter died in the shooting massacre of 90 people at the Bataclan music hall, and Christophe Naudin, who lost a close friend in the same attack which he himself survived, give their views of what emerged from the cross-examination this month of the families of the gunmen.

Paris attacks trial: 'Do we all feel the same about the accused and jihadism? Obviously not'

France

The trial of 20 individuals accused of variously perpetrating or helping to carry out the November 13th 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris continues. As part of its regular coverage of the hearings, Mediapart is publishing the first-hand reactions of seven victims of the massacres as they take part in, and follow, the court proceedings. Here, schoolteacher Christophe Naudin, who survived the shooting massacre at the Bataclan concert hall in which one of his closest friends died, reflects on the five weeks during which the civil parties have been giving evidence, and begins by recounting his own turn, last week, at taking to the witness stand.

'We don't hate you', says sister of UK Bataclan victim at Paris trial

France — Link

Zoe Alexander, sister of Nick Alexander, a 35-year-old British merchandise manager for US group Eagles of Death Metal and who died at the Bataclan Paris concert hall when members of the so-called Islamic State group attacked the venue on November 13th 2015 in a shooting massacre that left 90 dead, told the defendants at their ongoing trial in the French capital that while she and her family “deplore what you did, we don’t hate you”.

Paris attacks trial: 'I wanted to see them, to tell them all they've taken from me'

France — Chronicle

The trial of 20 individuals accused of variously perpetrating or helping with the carrying out of the November 13th 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris is continuing, in proceedings that are expected to last nine months. As part of its regular coverage of the trial, Mediapart is publishing the first-hand reactions and reflections of seven victims of the massacres as they follow the court proceedings. Here Roman, aged 30, who escaped alive after terrorists attacked La Belle Équipe restaurant where he was dining with friends, gives his evidence to the court about the attacks and describes the events that preceded it.

Paris attacks trial: the first-hand accounts of the victims

France

The trial of 20 individuals accused of variously perpetrating or helping with the perpetration of the November 13th 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris this week entered its third week, in what is just the beginning of a legal marathon that is expected to last nine months. As part of its regular coverage of the hearings, Mediapart is publishing the first-hand reactions and reflections of seven victims of the massacres as they follow the court proceedings. Here, Nadine Ribet-Reinhart, whose 26-year-old son was among 90 people massacred at the Bataclan concert hall, and Georges Salines, who lost his 28-year-old daughter in the same attack, write about their initial experiences of a trial that has been almost six years in the making.

Paris attacks suspect tells court he is 'a soldier of Islamic State'

France — Link

Salah Abdeslam is the alleged lone survivor of the IS group and is expected to be the key defendant in the Paris trial and is the only one charged with murder.

November 2015 Paris terror attacks: the opening of an extraordinary trial

France

The trial relating to the deadly wave of terror attacks that struck Paris on November 13th 2015 gets under way this Wednesday September 8th. During a hearing scheduled to last nine months, the 20 defendants will be tried over their role in attacks that left 130 dead, hundreds more wounded and many grieving families. Matthieu Suc sets the scene for a trial that is exceptional both in its scale and nature.

‘You live through unimaginable events’: prosecutor François Molins on the November 2015 Paris terror attacks

France — Interview

The trial of 20 people accused of various roles in the series of terrorist attacks in Paris during the evening of November 13th 2015, which claimed the lives of 130 people and wounded more than 400 others, opens on Wednesday. In this interview with Mediapart's Matthieu Suc, the public prosecutor then in charge of the investigations, François Molins, recalls the night of the attacks, the aftermath and distress for victims’ families, and reflects on the successes and failures of France’s efforts to counter terrorism.

Trial of November 2015 Paris attacks accused to open on Wednesday

France — Link

The trial of 20 defendants accused of carrying out, planning or aiding the November 13th 2015 Paris terrorist attacks which left 130 people dead and more than 490 wounded will open on Wednesday in the French capital and is expected to last nine months.