Keyword: attack

Nice truck driver planned attack, had accomplices, says prosecutor

The Tunisian who on July 14th killed 84 people among crowds on Promenade des Anglais had carefully prepared attack says Paris public prosecutor.

Bastille Day massacre stokes Nice's bitter divisions

By
July 18th: tributes to the Bastille Day attack on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. © Reuters July 18th: tributes to the Bastille Day attack on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. © Reuters

The Bastille Day attack in Nice, when a Tunisian immigrant from the city drove a truck into crowds walking the seafront Promenade des Anglais, killing 84 people, has heightened the already prevalent racial and social tensions in the Riviera capital. Ellen Salvi reports from Nice, where local politicians have long fuelled the fires of division that threaten to engulf the city.

Jeers for French PM at commemoration for Nice victims

Manuel Valls and other officials were booed at a packed ceremony on the Promenade des Anglais amid criticism of security policy in wake of Bastille Day outrage.

More arrests as Bastille Day killer's true motive remains uncertain

Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel's residency permit. © DR Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel's residency permit. © DR

Three new arrests were made on Sunday as French investigators attempt to establish whether Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the 31-year-old Tunisian who drove a heavy truck into Bastille Day crowds in Nice on Thursday, killing 84 people, received help from accomplices in preparing the massacre. Fresh evidence emerged this weekend suggesting he had carefully planned the attack, including CCTV footage of him reconnoitring the scene earlier last week. But despite a claim by the Islamic State group that Bouhlel was a "soldier" for the jihadist group, his motive remained unclear. Meanwhile, French health minister Marisol Touraine said on Sunday that “about 85 people” were still hospitalised after the carnage on July 14th, of which 18, including a child, were in a life-threatening condition. Graham Tearse reports.

French interior minister backtracks on Nice attacker profile

Bernard Cazeneuve, who on Friday sounded cautious note on jihadist motive for attack, said on Saturday that killer must have been 'radicalised very rapidly'.

France's terror alert smartphone app failed in Nice

The app, launched in June ahead of Euro 2016 tournament, took nearly three hours to warn users of the truck attack that left 84 people dead.

Nice toll rises to 84 dead, 202 injured, as France declares three days of mourning

French public prosecutor François Molins confirmed late Friday that 84 people, including ten children and teenagers, were killed when a man drove a 19-tonne truck into seafront crowds attending a firework display during Bastille Day celebrations in the Riviera city of Nice on Thursday evening. The truck attack was carried out by a lone perpetrator, 31-year-old Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, a Tunisian national who had been living in Nice for several years. Molins said a total of 202 people were injured in the attack, and 52 of them were on Friday in a critical condition. The attack is the subject of an investigation into three counts of terrorist acts, while doubts emerged late Friday over the true motive for the attack. Graham Tearse reports.

At least 80 people feared dead in Nice Bastille Day attack

Bodies of victims on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. © Reuters Bodies of victims on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. © Reuters

French officials say at least 80 people  died after a heavy truck drove into crowds attending a traditional Bastille Day fireworks celebration in the Riviera city of Nice at around 10.30 p.m. local time. The driver of the truck, who was reportedly later shot dead by police, then began firing shots into the crowd according to several media reports. Local media said the driver was a 31-year-old Nice resident of joint French-Tunisian nationality. French President François Hollande announced in the early hours of Friday that the state of emergency powers introduced after the November 13th terrorist attacks in Paris last year, and due to end later this month, will be extended for a further three months. Graham Tearse reports.

French charity official says stabbed by couple

Director of soup kitchen east of Paris said his attackers cried 'God is Great' in Arabic but prosecutors are playing down any terrorism link.

Social media debate after jihadist live streamed attack on couple

Larossi Abballa posted on Facebook a live 13-minute video of himself in the home of his dead victims' with their three-year-old son who he had hostage.

French officer decorated over response to police car attack

Paris cop Kevin Philippy calmly blocked several blows from a bar-wielding protester before walking away from the attacker and blazing car.

French journalist films terrorist cell planning attack on night club

French TV channel Canal Plus broadcasts secretly recorded film shot over six months within group in France planning suicide attack.

French Jewish leaders argue over skullcap advice after machete attack

Leader of the Jewish community in Marseille advises removing skullcap to avoid anti-Semitic violence, while France's chief rabbi disagreed.

Jewish teacher wounded in machete attack in Marseille

The 35-year-old suffered hand and back wounds in what police said was a 'clearly anti-Semitic act' close to the city's Franco-Hebraic Institute.

French teacher confesses to inventing school knife attack

The teacher, 45, at an infants' school in Paris suburb earlier claimed he was attacked Monday by a man shouting support for Islamic State group.