Keyword: Central African Republic
A French judicial investigation into claims relayed by the United Nations that several French soldiers engaged in a peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic perpetrated rape and sexual abuse of minors between 2013 and 2014 has been wound down after magistrates ruled there was insifficient evidence to support a prosecution.
Investigating judges have found no evidence to warrant further investigation into claims of abuse in the Central African Republic, the BBC says.
France says Operation Sangaris in 2013 succeeded in mission to stop fighting in CAR but news comes as a fresh wave of killings rocks country.
President Hollande says if reports that its soldiers abused children in Central African Republic are true it would be a 'stain on France's honour'.
Defence minister Jean-Yves Le Drian says France, which has 900 soldiers in strife-torn nation, aims to reduce troops levels to pre-crisis level.
The four men appear to be the first to face judicial questioning in France since accusations were first made against French peacekeepers last year.
France says it and UN 'partners' want to freeze assets and ban travel of parties hindering peace transition in strife-torn Central African Republic.
Allegations that French soldier sexually abused a girl in her mid-to-late teens is latest in series of claims against peacekeeping forces.
Following the revelation in late April that a UN investigation had collected convincing evidence that French peacekeeping troops in the Central African Republic (CAR) had sexually abused boys aged as young as nine, including acts of rape, the French authorities feigned to be unaware of the alleged events, despite being alerted at least eight months earlier. In this investigation by Mediapart, we present the confidential UN report in full, and hear from aid workers and members of inter-governmental organizations active in the strife-torn country how child abuse cases are in fact more widespread, why they believe there was a deliberate cover up of the UN evidence, and the tales of wider scandals involving members of the foreign community in CAR, a country that has become anything but a sovereign state. Thomas Cantaloube in Bangui and Célhia de Lavarène in New York report.
The judicial probe is launched after France was criticised for slow action on claims its troops sexually abused boys in Central African Republic.
As many as 14 French soldiers could be implicated in claims which risk damaging reputation of France's peacekeeping operations in Africa.
French troops sent to protect tens of thousands displaced by the violence are now accused of exploiting the lawlessness engulfing the nation.
Anders Kompass said to have passed confidential document to French authorities after UN’s failure to stop abuse in Central African Republic.
The 67 year-old teacher for her own Catholic ONG was kidnapped in the Central African Republic by Christian militiamen on Monday.