In China and the United States, as well as France, the drug chloroquine is one of the main focal points in the race to provide an effective treatment for the Covid-19 coronavirus. So far there is still insufficient data to show whether this anti-malaria drug will prove useful in treating people infected with the virus. And a French study praising its benefits has become mired in controversy. Rouguyata Sall reports.
Earlier this year Mediapart reported how a 19-year-old woman had her skull fractured by police in Marseille, southern France, as she lay on the ground during a day of demonstrations. The same investigation has now revealed the existence of a new hybrid police unit that was created to take on the so-called 'gilets jaunes' or 'yellow vest' protestors in France. These officers were not trained in public order policing yet the initiative was backed by a memo from the Ministry of the Interior and superior officers who considered that in a time of “war” anything and everything is permissible. Pascale Pascariello reports.
Referee stopped Nice-Marseille game for 10 minutes after banners and chants - incident is latest in a series to have occurred in France.
On Tuesday April 30th 2019, a 19-year-old woman formally lodged a criminal complaint with the Marseilles prosecution services against unnamed persons for attempted murder, aggravated assault and failure to assist a person in danger. This followed an incident on December 8th 2018 when, on the fringes of a demonstration by 'yellow vest' protesters in the southern French port city, 'Maria' – not her real name – was kicked in the head and struck with batons by police officers, according to several witnesses, as she lay injured on the ground. She suffered a skull fracture and brain damage. Pascale Pascariello reports.
The French port city of Marseille which has diverse, low-income, working-class districts in its centre, is facing its biggest crisis in decades as residents fear historical buildings that have turned to slums could crumble and fall, the increasing fears prompted by the deaths of eight people in November when two buildings collapsed near the picturesque old port.
The woman, who lived in an apartment near to where the protests were taking place on Saturday, was hit in the face while closing the shutters.
Rescuers on Thursday resumed a search of rubble in which six corpses have been found after the collapse on Monday of two dilapidated apartment blocks in the southern French port city of Marseille, following an overnight pause to demolish neighbouring buildings that threatened to tumble in turn.
Three people have been found dead in the rubble of two buildings which collapsed in the southern French port city of Marseille on Monday, while emergency services continued to search for possible survivors among up to eight people who are reported missing.
Rescue workers with sniffer dogs were searching for people who may be trapped in the rubble of two neighbouring buildings which collapsed in the port city of Marseille, southern France, on Monday, injuring two passers-by.
Economy minister Bruno Le Maire says France is not ready to allow migrants to disembark at southern port of Marseille.
French railways operator SNCF said there will be disruption to trains arriving at and departing from Marseille over the coming days after a high-speed train from Paris derailed, without causing injuries, on its low-speed approach to the Mediterranean port city for reasons that remain unexplained.
A McDonald's restaurant in the north of Marseille faces closure in the coming days as it gets sold to a mysterious new owner. The current owners of the franchise say the fast-food restaurant is closing simply because it has made heavy losses in recent years. But unions and staff insist the sale is simply a ruse to get rid of an outlet whose employees have successfully led many forms of industrial action in recent years, both locally and nationally. As Dan Israel reports, the 70 staff have now made an official complaint of attempted fraud on the part of the franchise owners.
Senior French public prosecutor François Molins said the knife-wielding man who murdered two young women outside the central train station in Marseille on Sunday before being shot dead by patrolling soldiers in an attack claimed by the Islamic State group was of North African origin who used several false identities, and was released by police in Lyon on Saturday after his arrest for suspected shoplifting.
French military police shot the man dead at city's St Charles train station on after he killed two women with a knife.