Keyword: Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel
The Tunisian who on July 14th killed 84 people among crowds on Promenade des Anglais had carefully prepared attack says Paris public prosecutor.
Paris public prosecutor says Bastille Day killer appeared recently drawn to jihadists but no proof of any 'allegiance or any direct link' to terrorist organisations.
Three new arrests were made on Sunday as French investigators attempt to establish whether Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, the 31-year-old Tunisian who drove a heavy truck into Bastille Day crowds in Nice on Thursday, killing 84 people, received help from accomplices in preparing the massacre. Fresh evidence emerged this weekend suggesting he had carefully planned the attack, including CCTV footage of him reconnoitring the scene earlier last week. But despite a claim by the Islamic State group that Bouhlel was a "soldier" for the jihadist group, his motive remained unclear. Meanwhile, French health minister Marisol Touraine said on Sunday that “about 85 people” were still hospitalised after the carnage on July 14th, of which 18, including a child, were in a life-threatening condition. Graham Tearse reports.
Bernard Cazeneuve, who on Friday sounded cautious note on jihadist motive for attack, said on Saturday that killer must have been 'radicalised very rapidly'.
After IS claim role in Nice truck attack, the BBC's Paris correspondent points to new danger of 'neighbourhood' loners who fall prey to jihadist propaganda.
The jihadist group claimed Tunisian who drove truck into crowd in Nice had followed its calls for such attacks; five people now in custody over the massacre.