France says that it has completed an operation to move thousands of migrants out of the "Jungle" camp in Calais, reports the BBC.
Fabienne Buccio, the prefect of Pas-de-Calais, said it was "mission accomplished" for the operation, which began on Monday.
But charities said many unaccompanied minors had not been processed and BBC reporters at the camp said groups of adults remained.
Fires burned at the camp overnight and during the day amid the clearance work.
The camp has become a key symbol of Europe's migration crisis, with its residents desperate to reach the UK.
Since the start of the week, French authorities have been bussing thousands of people to shelters and centres where they will be able to seek asylum.
The operation has gone faster than expected and on Wednesday afternoon Ms Buccio said: "It's the end of the Jungle, our mission is over. There are no more migrants in the camp."
Local officials say so far 4,404 migrants have been taken to centres around the country and 1,200 children registered to enter a temporary centre made out of converted shipping containers near the camp.
Processing is continuing in the camp, reports say, but will end by this evening.
The camp had an estimated 6,000-8,000 residents. The BBC's Simon Jones, who is there, says it is possible a large number have disappeared, either to sleep rough around Calais or go to other towns.
The authorities fear they will return to set up camp again once the clearance operation is over.