France increases security around Lourdes for national pilgrimage

By

Authorities even considered cancelling the Mass and procession next Monday at Catholic site of pilgrimage after recent terror attacks in France.

This article is open access. Information protects us. I subscribe

After a series of recent terrorist attacks in France, security is being stepped up at Lourdes for the feast of the Assumption, reports the Catholic Herald.

The prefect of the Pyrénées region, Beatrice Lagarde, says the authorities even considered cancelling the Mass and procession next Monday, which is normally attended by 25,000 people.

Instead, most entrances will be closed, and attendees will have to pass through security gates, where their bags will be checked. Several events have been adapted: the procession will start within the site, rather than in the town as usual.

There will also be 250 security staff at the site over the next two weeks, including police, paramilitary offices and a bomb disposal unit.

Roads surrounding the Lourdes site will be closed to traffic, and bins will be replaced with transparent plastic bags.

Lagarde told Europe1 radio: “The faithful have the right to access this place. On the other hand, everything is being done to make the area secure.”

It comes after the murder of Fr Jacques Hamel by two Islamists in Normandy last month, as well as the attacks on Paris and Nice in which scores of people were killed.

The Assumption, the celebration of the Virgin Mary being taken up into heaven body and soul at the end of her life, is a national holiday in France. Most banks and businesses are closed, and many towns and villages hold festivals.

Read more of this report from the Catholic Herald.

No mobilization without confidence
No trust without truth
Support us