Manhunt launched for newly-identified Paris attacks suspect

By

Belgian prosecutors appealed for sightings of Najim Laachraou who travelled with arrested suspect Salah Abdeslam to Budapest last year.

This article is freely available. Check out our subscription offers. Subscribe

French and Belgian police have launched a manhunt for a newly identified suspect linked to November's Paris terror attacks, as revelations about the depth of networks cultivated by a recently captured fugitive fuel concerns about potential future assaults, reports CNN.

Salah Abdeslam, whose DNA was found on a suicide belt discarded on a Paris street after the November 13 attacks, spent more than four months on the run as Europe's most wanted man before he was arrested in a gunbattle in the Brussels suburb of Molenbeek on Friday.

Since his capture, officials have said he was ready to carry out future attacks and was supported by a wide network of associates, and they warned of the possibility of a new wave of ISIS terrorists preparing to carry out further attacks.

In a statement Monday, the Belgian prosecutor's office appealed to the public for sightings of Najim Laachraoui, 24, who has used the alias Soufiane Kayal and traveled with Abdeslam to Budapest, Hungary, in September of last year, the statement said.

Authorities had previously said that a man using the Kayal alias had been in contact via phone with Paris attacks ringleader Abdelhamid Abaaoud, apparently giving him directives in the lead-up to the November attacks, and that the name had been used to rent a villa in Auvelais, southern Belgium, which was used by the plotters.

Laachraoui's DNA was found in the Auvelais villa and another house in the Schaerbeek district of Brussels that the group used, the Belgian prosecutor's office said Monday. Laachraoui had gone to Syria in February of 2013, the statement said.

Read more of this report from CNN.

Extend your reading on Mediapart Unlimited access to the Journal free contribution in the Club Subscribe