A year after a million and a half people thronged Paris in solidarity with the victims of the attack on satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo, the traumatised city marked the anniversary of the killings with a sombre ceremony, reports Yahoo! News.
Around 2,000 people submitted to strict security checks to get into the Place de la Republique for the event, many saying they were determined to attend despite a lingering sense of fear after France was repeatedly targeted by jihadists in 2015.
"A year ago, lots of posters read 'Not Even Scared', but no, in fact we are scared," said Gabriel Taran, 52. "But we have to be here, and continue to go to sidewalk cafes, to concerts -- to learn to live with it, not give up anything."
Twelve people were killed in the January 7, 2015, assault on Charlie Hebdo, which had been in the jihadists' sights since publishing cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed in 2006.
The next day, another extremist, Amedy Coulibaly, shot dead a policewoman and went on to kill four people at a Jewish supermarket.
Sunday's event was also dedicated to the victims of the November 13 jihadist rampage across Paris targeting ordinary people enjoying a night out, which left 130 dead.
New violence Thursday added to the jitters when a Tunisian man was shot dead by police as he approached a Paris police station wielding a meat cleaver and a fake explosives vest, on the exact anniversary of the Charlie Hebdo attack.
He was carrying a handwritten letter claiming to act in the name of the Islamic State group.
"What happened on Thursday brought it all back," said Katelyn Kiner, a 20-year-old student from Chicago, while insisting on shrugging off her fears.
"Every time I go out it's in direct defiance (saying) 'I'm not going to let those evil men take away my lifestyle -- it means too much to me'," she said.