French presidency denies announcement on Trierweiler

By

The Elysée palace denies reports of an imminent announcement that François Hollande and Valérie Trierweiler are to separate.

This article is open access. Information protects us. I subscribe

The French presidency has contradicted media reports that President François Hollande would officially announce his separation from his partner, Valérie Trierweiler, on Saturday, reports BBC News.

The president's office at the Elysée Palace told the BBC "false rumours" had been circulating in the French media.

Two weeks ago a magazine published photos apparently showing Mr Hollande's affair with an actress.

Ms Trierweiler spent a week in hospital after the revelations.

Mr Hollande, who has never denied having an affair with Julie Gayet, has admitted to a "difficult moment" in his relationship with Ms Trierweiler.

On Thursday Ms Trierweiler sacked her lawyer for saying she was seeking to end her relationship with Mr Hollande "with the greatest possible dignity".

Sources close to Mr Hollande told French media the presidency would make an official announcement on Saturday.

But in response to the initial reports, a spokesman for the Elysee told the BBC: "There will be no accouncement today (Saturday). They are false rumours circulating in the French media."

Ms Trierweiler, who has continued to work as a journalist for the glossy magazine Paris-Match, is travelling to India on Sunday in support of the work of the French charity Action Against Hunger.

Since she left hospital, she has been staying at an official residence, La Lanterne, near Versailles.

"He [Mr Hollande] has consulted her and brought her up to date, she accepts the situation as a fait accompli, but she is leaving it to him to take the initiative," a member of Ms Trierweiler's entourage told the newspaper Le Parisien.

Read more of this report from BBC News.

No mobilization without confidence
No trust without truth
Support us