New charge brought against former Renault-Nissan boss Ghosn

By

Carlos Ghosn, the 65-year-old former chairman and CEO of carmakers Renault and Nissan, who was arrested last November in Japan on charges of financial misconduct, was on Monday charged for a fourth time, for allegedly enriching himself with $5 million at Nissan’s expense.

This article is freely available. Check out our subscription offers. Subscribe

Japanese prosecutors have charged the former Nissan chairman Carlos Ghosn with aggravated breach of trust, a Tokyo court said, bringing a fourth charge against him on the day his detention period was set to expire, reports The Guardian.

The charge, on Monday, ensures that Ghosn will remain in custody pending another bail attempt by his lawyers.

It comes after authorities arrested him this month for a fourth time on suspicion that he enriched himself by a total of $5 million (£3.85m) at Nissan’s expense.

Ghosn, who was released on $9-million bail last month after spending 108 days in jail, has denied all allegations against him. His defence team has launched a public battle against the prosecutors, calling the latest arrest “illegal” in documents seen by Reuters.

Earlier on Monday, Nissan said it had filed a criminal complaint after determining that payments made by the carmaker to an overseas vehicle sales company through a subsidiary had been directed by Ghosn for his personal enrichment.

Read more of this report fromThe Guardian.

Extend your reading on Mediapart Unlimited access to the Journal free contribution in the Club Subscribe